Friday, February 5, 2010

Back Again So Soon?


Yes but I have just finished a wonderful bookand wanted to share. It is "The Girls" by Lori Lansens. It is a fictional "autobiography" of conjoined twin girls. I know it sounds like a strange topic, but it was a lovely book, one that I did not want to finish. My daughter belongs to book club and this is where she heard about it. They read a very eclectic selection of books which isn't always my cup of tea and I will read most things, but this one was a hit.

While I think of it I read another great book recently, again not necessarily a topic I would select in the book shop, again came to me through my daughter, and again one I didn't want to finish, I wanted to carry on reading about those characters. That to me is always the sign of a lovely book. "Through Black Spruce" by Joseph Boyden. A story about a first nations family and how their traditions are sometimes at odds with modern day life in Canada. That sounds like a very dry revue but it was really interesting and I couldn't put the book down.

One of my all time favourite stories is "The Raj Quarter" by Paul Scott. This was made into the classic BBC programme "The Jewel in the Crown" which is a fabulous watch, I have watched itmany times, a beautifully made drama, actually made back in the 80's I think but it doesn't look dated at all, and the books are just as wonderful and evocative of that time in British history. I bought the set for my daughter for Christmas. Do let me know if you have any good recommendations as I am looking for my next read.




2 comments:

ShanaM said...

I haven't read any of the books that you listed. I will add them to my list

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Love the pictures of the house in France. Nice to see progress. Bet you can't wait to get there full time.