Monday, October 13, 2008

It Arrived While I Wasn't Looking


Fall I mean.  Suddenly it has arrived in my garden.  The pool is closed.  The furniture stored away.  Leaves are falling, the left over not quite ripe tomatoes are looking very sad and my garden needs a little attention.  I am not very good at being ruthless and pulling out stuff that still doing OK.  I have to wait until it is looking really sorry for itself so that attention is going to be a little while coming as yet.  My pots still look quite presentable - what do you think? 

It's hard to believe my daughter has been married  for a whole month!  Then it was summer and now it's almost winter.  A tough time of  year here in central Canada.  It's not that it is not an absolutely gorgeous time of year, the colours are spectacular, the weather is balmy and the grass doesn't require mowing every third day but we all know what is around the corner.  When winter does get here it sticks around for a long time and I, for one, am not looking forward to it one bit.

However, one very bright spot on the horizon is a trip to France.  Whoohoo!!  Unfortunately due to work commitments for GWE, he will stay behind and work his little butt off while my 16 yr old son and I will take a very quick trip over to check on the house, take many photos, pick up our mail!!! and generally soak up some of la bonne vie for a few days.

8 comments:

Breezy said...

Shame you can't both go but I'm sure you are just longing to see your new roof

Lulda Casadaga said...

Love the garden and the pup...I have a black lab too! The leaves are starting to turn down here in Virgina. Fall is here to stay!
Have a wonderful time in France and I'd look into that sewer system sooner than later! :d

aims said...

Do have a wonderful time SITH. I'm sure you will hate coming back to the winter though!

Maggie May said...

It will make a little break for you and do you good.
The garden is looking great and the pup too.
I don't like the winter, either, but I know that yours is worse than mine. I like it when the shortest day is over and then there is the promise of Spring.

dND said...

I hope you have a good trip over.

The weather's still holding up here in the south west - up to 25°C in the day but it has been down to 4°C at night in places - it's really quite variable. So my advice would be layers to allow for any weather.

I do hope you find a good gite.

Stinking Billy said...

sith, I would ask you what GWE stands for but there isn't much point. I would just have to ask you again the next time. He's your husband, right? x

softinthehead said...

Thanks for all your good wishes, I am getting excited about France.
SB - GWE = (husband and) great wage earner - and he is, bless him!!

Mean Mom said...

Pots are looking fine! Sunday was a brilliant day, here - warmer than summer! It was much more like October today, however. How quickly the weather changes, these days.

Have a great time in France!